Monday, January 14, 2008

New Year's and Faithfulness

I don't do New Year's resolutions anymore, but if I did I would make resolution to write in my blog more and write deeper content.

It is 23 days until I arrive in New Zealand and I can't wait, the Lord is so faithful to me letting me go home for a bit, and in an effort to write substantial content I will share some thoughts on his faithfulness.

He is the one who is faithful, always, not because of anything I have done. God cannot be any more faithful or less faithful than he already is because one of his names is faithful. When I think of faithfulness I think of follow through. Jesus always follows through, on everything, always.

We can look to Israel's history as a picture of the Lord's faithfulness. He decides that he will rule from Jerusalem, and he will. Despite Judah being totally unfaithful and in rebellion against him God made a promise to a man called David, and he will follow through on that promise - David's seed Jesus will sit on a throne, as a man forever.

Though Israel was unfaithful most of their history the Lord was still faithful in that if he said he would do something, he would. But note, he's not "just" faithful on the "nice" things but the "negative" things also. In other words read Deuteronomy 28 and the Lord is faithful to all of it, the blessings and the curses. Because he loves justice and he follows through. He is the God who acts.

Bringing that down to my little life and my every day living, it means God's faithfulness is not based on anything I do, I cannot affect the Lord's faithfulness. If I confess my sin he is faithful to forgive, end of story. If he begins a good work in my life he's faithful to complete it, end of story.

But how I experience his faithfulness is up to me!

Interesting thought
Wendy

No comments: