Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why the night watch?

I was talking with my friend and flatmate last night about the night watch. We were basically talking about how amazing it is to live in a community of young adults who have all switched their body clocks and their lives in order to pray in the night

Personally I think this is an unusual phenomenon. Many people stay up late, many people pray at night, many people have the graveyard shift but not many people order their entire lives around keeping a prayer room going from 12-6am and do it in the midst of a community.

I've always said, and this will remain true that I love the night watch because I love telling Jesus I love him and I love his leadership in the midnight hours when the rest of the country are sleeping or doing things you don't want to know about, but the Lord knows.

I also love this community of believers, I think the night watch are some of the weakest people here. We do the night watch because it hedges us in even more to pray and fast. But when I look around the room as I prayer lead sometimes my heart overflows with love for these people I see almost every day. Even those we don't know intimately, we know each others journey, we see one another continue in the place of prayer through difficult seasons and through times of promotion.

I joined the night watch because I wanted to love Jesus in the night, and I can truly say I also love his people in the night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One day... in New Zealand?